September 15, 2008

Blog Rewind: My Dog Pinto Likes to Roam...


...One day Pinto left his home.

He came back quite unclean...

Where oh where has Pinto bean?

I learned this little song from my friend, Sara, and it's been stuck in my head since 1998. It works for any bean type and it's ever so slightly addictive. My dog Garbanzo likes to roam...
I sang this song all night when Alex made this chili - Quick Beef and Pinto Bean Chili, another Weight Watchers winner. It was really good! A great depth of flavor, lots of vegetables, and a nice slow heat. It had that simmered-all-day flavor, but we threw it together in about 15 minutes. Woo!
Ingredients:
1 spray cooking spray
1 garlic clove, minced
1 packet frozen mixed vegetables, onion and pepper (we just chopped up fresh and it was fine)
1 lb uncooked lean ground beef
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced and seeds removed
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt (I always use less because Kosher meat is already salty)
15 oz can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Instructions:
Coat a large skillet with the spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic and vegetables and cook, until all the water has evaporated. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, breaking up any clumps with your spoon. Add diced and crushed tomatoes, chipotle pepper, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper, and beans. Mix everything together. Cook over high heat, until some of the liquid evaporates, and chili thickens, about 3 minutes. Yields 1 1/4 cup per serving, 6 points per serving.

1 comments:

Annette said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That chili is making me hungry! I also love your apron on the previous post.

I wanted to say thank you for commenting on my first TWD post. I seriously thought no one was reading, in reality I didn't set my blog to notify me when comments were posted. Oops.