January 2, 2009

Creamy Mexican Dip (WW)


Happy 2009 Everyone! I hope you had a wonderful New Years, whether you were out partying in Times Square, snuggled in at home in your jammies, or in the hospital (welcome to the world, Perseus!).

Alex and I spent the night with our wonderful group of friends, the same crowd we've been with since our days at Maryland, plus their significant others. We're so fortunate to have such a close and hilarious group, and we always have a great time together.

The hosts asked everyone to bring food/drink, so I scoured the Weight Watchers recipes for something I could eat without feeling guilty. I am a total sucker for crunchy things + dip combinations, so I decided to try this yummy-sounding recipe for Creamy Mexican Dip. It was really easy, although really messy, to make. Maybe that's just because I'm a messy cook. I served it with baked tortilla chips and placed it next to the veggie platter, so people could scoop it with celery, as well.

I really liked the way the tang of the Greek yogurt blended with the red onion and salsa, and the chunks of avocado and cilantro really made it flavorful. I think next time I'll blend in some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to make it smokey and spicier.

Sorry for the cruddy picture. I totally forgot to take one and by the time I remembered, the bowl was pretty much scraped clean and not so pretty!

Ingredients:
1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (could use plain regular)
1/2 cup salsa
3/4 cup avocado, diced (set aside some for garnish)
2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (set some aside for garnish)
1 medium red onion, chopped (set some aside for garnish)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt

Instructions:
In a medium bowl, blend together yogurt and salsa. Stir in remaining ingredients except garnishes. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.

When ready to serve, garnish with some chopped avocado, cilantro and red onion. 1 point per 1/4 cup serving.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Happy New Year to you! That dip sounds wonderful and includes all my fave tex mex ingredients! I look forward to more 'Someone's in the Kitchen with Brina' in 2009!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Happy New Year! The dip sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing.