January 27, 2009

TWD: Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread

Alex has been asking for gingerbread for weeks now and I kept putting him off. I didn't really want to make gingerbread cookies after going through a whole holiday season of gingerbread, but then...I saw the TWD assignment: Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread. It was a sign! I was destined to bake this!
And bake it I did.

This bread/cake is delicious. It's moist and spicy, studded with chunks of candied ginger and chocolate chips, and all covered in a rich chocolate glaze with just a hint of coffee. I had so much fun baking it because it made the whole apartment smell amazing. I knew that people were walking by our door, sniffing jealously.

According to Dorie herself, the recipe is enough for a 9x9 baking pan, but honestly - who owns one? I had an 8x8 so she said to just fill it 2/3 of the way and use the rest for mini-cakes. I had enough batter left over to eat a little...um...I mean to fill 2 ramekins. I would totally make this again. Great recipe choice, Heather!

I apologize for the cruddy picture. My camera battery was about to die, and since we had packed all the batteries, I rushed to get any picture I could. The cake really is very pretty!

16 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I liked this cake more than I expected!

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I liked this cake more than I expected!

threesidesofcrazy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Pictures aren't as important as flavor and it sounds like your was perfect.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love recipes that fill the house with a wonderful smell.

chocolatechic said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We loved this recipe.

Sabrina said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I know, the aroma was the best part! :)

Cristine said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad you liked the recipe!!!

Flourchild said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Im glad you enjoyed the bread. I thought it was good.

Leslie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think your cake looks wonderful! Doesn't it smell divine in the oven?

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I loved this recipe it was sooooo good. I'm glad you liked it too.

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lovely job on the cake...I agree, this recipe is a keeper!

Lillian said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It was a lovely cake, wasn't it? One of my favorites so far. And yours looks like it was good, despite the blurriness!

Kimberly Johnson said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your gingerbread sounds wonderful! I never ever have the right size pan for TWD recipes! Ah well, I just wing it and hope for the best!

farah said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad yours turned out well :)

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great cake! - I am so pleased you liked my pick. It's a "make again" for me also.

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks really moist and great texture. We liked it too. Yummy!