March 16, 2009

Pi, Pi, ADPi, Like it, Love it, ADPi!

It's amazing that I can't really remember all that much from my college psychology classes, but the words and cheers of all my sorority songs are forever stuck in my head. I think they do that on purpose so that years later, I'll catch myself singing the made-up words to Margaritaville and smile with the memories. In the sorority, an alumna is called a Pi, so I had a little giggle over the fact that I, a Pi, was baking a pie on Pi Day (3.14).

Alex and I went to visit some friends who recently moved back to Maryland from Wisconsin, and we were so excited to spend time with them and meet their 9-month old son (who might just have the best baby hair I've ever seen). I wanted to do an easy pie, since I didn't have a lot of time to bake before-hand. After scouring allrecipes.com, I found this great recipe with a slew of positive reviews. That was enough for me!

It's a good-tasting, easy as pie (HA!) recipe. The combination of whole berries and cooked berries are a great surprise. You get whole berries that burst in your mouth with some bites. It's not overly sweet like some pies, which I really liked. I used frozen and defrosted blueberries and I think it detracted from the overall flavor. If you make this, use fresh berries! It took me about 15 minutes to put everything together, with another 15 minutes trying to perfect my lattice top. I used Alton's method and it worked out perfectly. My first lattice pie - behold!



Fresh Blueberry Pie (http://www.allrecipes.com/)
Ingredients
1 prepared 8-inch pastry shell, baked and cooled (I used Trader Joes Butter Crust)
2 pints fresh blueberries
1 TBS flour
1 TBS butter
1 TBS lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar (taste your berries before adding the whole amount and adjust accordingly)
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla

Instructions
Pour one pint of blueberries into the baked pie shell. Combine flour, butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add the remaining pint of blueberries and bring just to a boil, stirring frequently. The berries should begin to pop open.
Pour the cooked berries over the fresh berries. If you're using a top crust, place it over the berries and bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes. Pie should be refrigerated until serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your pie looks amazing!

Holly said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I was searching for ADPi letters to put on my blog and I just wanted to say that your pie looks amazing and that I am an adpi delta! <> =)