March 31, 2009

TWD: You Put the Lime in the Coconut...

...and eat them both together. You put the lime in the coconut and then you feel better...

Was anyone else humming this (okay, maybe singing) when they baked these cookies?




This week's Coconut Butter Thins were chosen by Jayne, of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch. The cookie name is a little bit deceiving, in my humble opinion. I was expecting a coconut flavored cookie, but what the recipe makes is a crumbly, buttery shortbread cookie, studded with chopped nuts and lime zest. I couldn't taste the coconut as much as I wanted to.
The recipe calls for macadamia nuts, but they were about $9/lb at my local grocery store! The salted cashews were 25% off, so I went with those. I also rubbed the lime zest into my sugar to increase the lime flavor.

I have to say, overall, these aren't my favorite. I think I made a very important discovery last night: I'm not a fan of shortbread. I just don't like it all that much. Okay, maybe one piece with a cup of tea every now and then, but it's not my cookie of choice. Something about the buttery crumbley-ness just leaves me really unsatisfied. I want a cookie with more, I don't know....heft, maybe? More to chew than rather have it just fall apart in your mouth.

Overall, I liked the way these smelled while baking and I'm glad the flavor of the lime came through. I will get around to putting up pictures later, but they pretty much look exactly the same as everyone elses! Check them out here. If you're a fan of shortbread, then I think you'll really like these cookies. Visit Jayne's blog for the recipe and put the lime in the coconut...


7 comments:

Leslie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sorry these were disappointing for you. Using coconut extract instead of the vanilla might help, but it sounds like shortbread just isn't your thing.

Jamie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOL...I was not singing that song until now!!! ;)

Beryl said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that song stuck in my head!

Flourchild said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh man Im so sorry you didn't like these. I thought they were soo good! They do look good though!

Teanna said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That song is SO stuck in my head now! Sorry you weren't a fan!

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, well. Guess you really have to like this type to like this cookie. But then, I LOVE all types of cookies. But yours look great.

LOVE the muppet version. Thanks.

Sweet as Coco said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sorry you didnt like these as much! You can send them my way if you want!