April 17, 2009

Soup's On!


Wednesday was a cold, gross and rainy day. Perfect for running in and out of the car all around town, doing various errands, right? Eh, not so much. By the time I got home, I was wet and miserable. All I wanted was a huge bowl of hot soup, and I knew exactly which one I would make. I've heard of the WW Zero Points Vegetable soup for a while, but always figured it would just be a weak watery broth with a few floating carrots and celery for color. I mean, come on! Soup is supposed to be hearty and filling! For zero? Riiiight.

Well, I stand corrected. This soup rocks. It's got a really good flavor and the cabbage totally makes the soup. Don't leave it out! And it's really easy to make, too. I just chopped up all the veggies and let it simmer away for 20 minutes while I snuggled on the couch with my recent library treasures and a cup of my favorite English Breakfast.

Even if you're not on WW, I recommend this soup. Just a little something light for lunch or a late dinner if you're like us and get home at 10PM.

Ingredients
6 cups vegetable broth
cooking spray
2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 teaspoons garlic (from a jar or substitute four cloves minced garlic)
1/2 cabbage, chopped (or use a bag of slaw, the biggest chunks you can find vs the fine)
1/2 pound frozen green beans (I used fresh and that was just fine)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (might add more next time)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large zucchini, diced

Instructions
Spray a Dutch oven or big soup pot with cooking spray and heat on medium high. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender (about 5-8 minutes). Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YUM. Your soup looks delicious. And perfect for colder spring days.

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds like a comforting soup and the weather we're having is perfect for it too!