June 19, 2009

DP Dough Wanna-be


Ahhh, DP Dough calzones. How I miss thee. I have so many fond college memories of hanging out in the sorority house, eating DP Dough while watching yet another episode of Sex and the City or Queer as Folk. Ahhhh, my 20-year-old metabolism. How I miss thee even more.

I posted the other day about falling into a cooking rut, so I was determined (read: fixated) on making at least one new recipe this week. I tweaked a WW pizza recipe to become a calzone and it satisfied my craving without carb overload. I hadn't started off with the idea of making it a calzone, but I didn't have enough filling to spread out over the whole length of pizza dough. Being the kitchen goddess/genius that I am, I simply folded the dough over and pretended that I had planned to make calzones all along. Ta dah! I'm cool like that.

Alex and I ate our dinner while spending time with the new addition to our family - the Samsung flat-screen TV. He's wanted one for so long and finally broke down and bought it. Hey, Sears was having a great sale - and he got 10% off. That's my boy! This 46-inch beast is gigantic. I honestly don't even know what to do with it, except stare in fascination. I can't wait to watch Iron Chef Japan in High Def. That's going to be a total trip.

Back to the calzone! This was pretty easy to make, except for the whole putting-the-leaves-in-the-blender part. They were supposed to form a paste, but instead, they got stuck way in the bottom, underneath the chopping blades and were a total pain to get out. Next time, I'll use our hand-held blender instead. Alex loved this, although I suspect that I could have served him cat food and he would have been just fine, eating it in front of his new love...Samsung.

Ingredients:
10 oz pizza dough, uncooked, about 12 inches. (I used the Pillsbury Thin Crust rollout dough)
cornmeal
1 cup arugula leaves
1 cup fresh basil
2 oz goat cheese
2 TBS parmesan cheese
1 tsp olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 (or whatever the dough instructions say).
Sprinkle cornmeal onto your baking sheet or pizza stone and spread out the dough. Combine arugula, basil, parmesean, oil and salt/pepper into the blender and pulse until it forms a paste. Spread it onto the dough (half of the dough to make a calzone, all of the dough for regular pizza) and dot with goat cheese. If you're making a 'zone, fold over the dough and crimp the edges closed. Bake 9-13 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and crispy, and cheese has melted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love calzones. It looks delicious!

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmm - that calzone looks bursting with flavor good!