June 25, 2009

Man Food: Meatloaf and Mashed 'Taters


Alex lives for meatloaf. You just say the word and he gets this faraway look in his eyes, like he's remembering his last great meatloaf meal. And then he starts waxing poetic about leftover meatloaf sandwiches...and well, it's just all downhill from there.

I took pity on my guy, since he's been putting up with a TON of low-cal, low-fat, Weight Watcher calorie conscious meals for the past few months, and made him a big ol' meatloaf. I loaded it up with chipotle peppers and jalapenos and served next to homemade mashed potatoes. And then I made him watch So You Think You Can Dance.

Ingredients:
1 spray cooking spray
1 1/2 pounds uncooked lean ground beef
1 cup rolled oats
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced
1 large egg (and as I'm typing this, I realize that I forgot the egg. It tasted fine, but fell apart a little)
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
8 oz canned tomato sauce, divided
Optional: 1-2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed.

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients, except half of the tomato sauce, in a large mixing bowl; set remaining tomato sauce aside. Spoon the meatloaf mixture into prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 60 minutes; spoon remaining sauce over meatloaf and cook 5 minutes more.
Slice into eight pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Oh, and did I mention that this is WW? Only 4 pts per slice :)

2 comments:

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Now I've seen a lot of WW recipes that call for chipotle in adobo. How do you get the seeds out? Do you find that the intensity lessens after it is cooked?

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks delicious and its been awhile since I've made meatloaf.... thanks for reminding me to make it soon!