July 14, 2009

Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's SUPERCAKE!


I give you my very first attempt at cake decorating! I beg of you, dear reader, please forgive the crappy photos. I blame bad lighting and a shaky post-decorating-cramped hand.

I had Wilton Level 1 class 2 last night and it was a blast. We learned how to pipe stars, lines, some wavy borders and writing. I need to practice my writing more, but I really liked it. Of course, the writing was very easy when you're tracing a print, so we'll see how it goes free-handed. I didn't get to finish everything in class, so I rushed home to finish the cake before Alex got home. He loved it and I'm pretty dang proud of it. However, I did learn a few things:

1) Red icing SUCKS to make. It took me about 3 days to finally get the shade I wanted
2) Must. Wear. Glasses.
3) Red icing stains. Everything.

Here are some photos from class. If you've been thinking about taking the class, you totally should! I use my coupons for everything, so I don't pay full price on any of the supplies. My plan is to go through all 4 levels, all the way up to Gumpaste and Fondant...we'll see how that goes!


Writing Practice


Stars, lines and wavy borders


Supercake takes shape...


The woman across from me did this great palm tree. Isn't it cute?
PS - For anyone who is wondering, the Wilton "Buttercream" recipe contains no actual butter. It's totally parve, so you could technically serve it with a parve cake.

3 comments:

JoshSamBob said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it, Beth! Wish I had a cake like that for my birthday. :)

vibi said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Absolutely amazing!!!

I wish I was supergirl, then perhpas you'd consider baking one for my birthday!!! lol

Rachel said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your cake looks awesome! The cake decorating class sounds amazing--I need to take one of those because my decorating skills certainly leave something (read: everything!) to be desired. Great job!