September 22, 2009

No TWD, but Southwestern Turkey Burgers instead

I really wanted to make this week's TWD recipe - Cottage Cheese Pufflets. Really really really wanted to make them. This was the recipe that I tucked away, ready to select for my round of Tuesdays With Dorie. I was a little sad when someone else picked it, but since I won't get to make my selection for another year or so, I guess it was bound to happen! Hmmm...I wonder if there will actually be any recipes left at that point?

Well, I planned to make them, but then the reality of Rosh Hashana and traveling for the holiday got the best of me. I didn't have time to work with this dough, as I saw many people commented that it needed proper chilling time after rolling and in between fillings. I should know by now that major baking challenges just won't happen during the Rosh or the Kippur*!

Anyways, please check out Daisy Lane Cakes for the pufflets. And I'll make them soon, I promise!

I did make a quick dinner last night, using some ground turkey that I had defrosted overnight. I got home from my spinning class at around 8:40 and this took about 5 minutes to throw together and another 10 to cook. Delicious! They had a great kick from the salsa and cumin and the cilantro flavor really came through.

Turkey burgers can get dry pretty easily, so I upped the amount of salsa in the mix to keep some of the moisture. Be sure to cook them until they reach 165 degrees, but no higher!

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
6 baked low-fat tortilla chips, crushed (I omitted)
1/3 cup salsa (I used 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 TBS scallions, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 spray cooking spray
4 light hamburger roll or buns, wheat (bun for Alex and a Arnolds Sandwich Thin for me)
4 pieces lettuce
4 slices tomatoes
1/4 cup salsa

Instructions:
Combine the first 8 ingredients (turkey - pepper). Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1⁄2-inch-thick patty.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat the patties with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook for about 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 4 minutes or until done (mine took about 10 minutes overall. I kept flipping to get even color).

Top the bottom halves of the buns with lettuce and tomato slices. Place the patties over tomato slices, and top each with salsa and top halves of buns. 5 points per burger.





*Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, for those of you scratching your heads and wondering "wha??"

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This turkey burger recipe looks fantastic!

Jacque said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oooh, I'm sorry about picking the pufflets. Funny thing is, I had been planning to pick an apple recipe, for like, a year. Then the person before me picked an apple dessert so I decided to pick something else. Oh, and I've estimated we'll be making TWD recipes into 2011, so you'll probably have a chance, although the pickin's will no doubt be slim.

Anyway, your burgers look fantastic. My husband eats low carb and I'm always looking for new ways to dress up meats. I will try these, minus the chips, like you did.