December 8, 2009

TWD: Chinese 5-Spice Sables


This week's TWD recipe was chosen by Barbara of Bungalow Barbara. She chose Sables, which are a delicate French shortbread cookie.

Dorie suggested a few options for "playing around" with this recipe, so I decided to try a few tablespoons of my Chinese 5-spice powder. It contains fennel, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and anise and is used in both cooking and baking. It's got a great spicy punch, and I loved the smell of these cookies.

Sables (and all other shortbread) are at their best after they have cooled and rested for a little bit, even better overnight. If you eat one while they are still hot, it crumbles immediately, dissolving into a buttery, almost insubstantial, mess of nothingness in your mouth. Not fun for a cookie! Give them a day and they are a bit heartier with much more flavor. The 5-spices really came out after they had sat for a few hours.

This cookie recipe (here on Barbara's blog!) is incredibly easy and would make a great holiday cookie gift! I'm still not a shortbread (or sables) girl, as I'd rather have a good ol' chocolate chip cookie, but these were a hit for Alex. So all is well in my kitchen.

6 comments:

Amanda said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad they were enjoyed! There are only a few left here :)

chocolatechic said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a brilliant idea adding the 5-spice.

They look wonderful.

Pamela said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very neat variation! I guess I'll have to taste my cookies now to see if I like them better than I did yesterday!

Teanna said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oooh Chinese 5 spice?! What a great idea for a cookie!

Flourchild said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Im glad all is well in your kitchen and you enjoyed the sables. They look great!

Bungalow Barbara said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for baking along with me this week! The 5-spice powder sounds like a great idea.