December 22, 2009

TWD: My Favorite Pecan Pie (my pick!!)


When I first joined TWD last year, the blogroll list was so long that I calculated my turn would be sometime around late 2010. Guess I miscalculated, huh?

I was so excited to pick this week's recipe. I carefully perused Baking: From My Home to Yours and marked the recipes I wanted to bake (Cranberry Upsidedown Cake! Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Muffins! Sweet Cream Biscuits!) and then handed the book over to Alex for his input. If you haven't ever heard me mention it before, my husband loves pie. Loves it more than I love shoes (which is a LOT.) Once he spied the recipe for My Favorite Pecan Pie and turned those puppy eyes to me, I couldn't say no. Seriously, folks...this man loves pie.

Oh, boy, is this recipe a doozy! Dorie takes your ordinary pecan pie and turns the volume WAY up with the kick of espresso powder and bittersweet chocolate. It's rich, decadent, and perfectly oooey gooey, with just the right counter-balance to the sweetness. I made it for my work potluck on Monday and had to snag a small piece before it totally disappeared*.

I am going to make this again for Christmas dinner on Friday, but I'll cut the espresso powder down to one teaspoon instead of two. I loved the coffee flavor, but thought that it overpowered the chocolate and pecans just a little too much. Thank you, TWD Bakers, for baking along with me this week and for indulging my husband's choice of recipe.

Happy Holidays to you and your families and thank you for a wonderful year of recipes!!

Dorie's (and now Alex's) Favorite Pecan Pie

Ingredients:
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (about 7 ounces) pecan halves or pieces
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 9-inch single crust made with Good for Almost Everything Dough, partially baked and cooled

Instructions:
Getting ready: Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Put the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.

In a large bowl, whisk the corn syrup and brown sugar together until smooth.. Whisk in the melted butter, then add the eggs one at a time, beating until you have a smooth, foamy mixture. Add the espresso powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and give the batter a good mix. Rap the bowl against the counter a couple of times to pop any bubbles that might have formed, then stir in the pecans and chocolate. Turn the filling into the crust.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make a foil shield for the crust by cutting a 9-inch circle out of the center of an 11-or 12-inch square of aluminum foil.

Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Place the foil shield on top of the pie—the filling will be exposed, the crust covered by the foil. Bake the pie for another 15 to 20 minutes (total baking time is 30 to 35 minutes), or until it has puffed (the middle and the edges should be fairly evenly puffed), is beautifully browned and no longer jiggles when tapped. Transfer the pie plate to a rack, remove the shield and cool to room temperature.

Serving: Pecan pie is good at any temperature, and different at each one. It’s softest and most puddingish eaten warm (about 45 minutes out of the oven), most flavorful eaten at room temperature and most candy-like when it is chilled. At any temperature, it’s good with ice cream—vanilla, chocolate or coffee would be my choices.

Storing: Once cooled to room temperature, the pie can be covered and refrigerated for 1 day.

Playing Around: If all you want is a great plain pecan pie, omit the cinnamon, espresso and chocolate. If you want a sweeter pie, increase the amount of corn syrup to 1 cup.





*someone pointed out the hilarious irony that Alex selected this recipe and then didn't get to taste any of it! He was stuck in Brooklyn an extra night due to the snow, poor guy! No worries, though, I'm making a second pie and he can have as much of it as he wants.

27 comments:

Katrina said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think it's funny that you let him pick pie and then you took it to work! Glad you'll be making another so he can have some! ;)
Happy Holidays!

Valerie Gamine said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for your decadent choice! I always love to practice my crust making skills. Your pie is just the right shade of caramalized light brown. :)

spike. said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

loved this pick! thanks

mike said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

He made a great choice! - I've yet to make this (for the holiday), but looking forward to it! It looks like a fantastic pie - nicely done!

Mariel said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

hey girl hey! that pie looks sooo good. We have to make this maple pecan pie w whole wheat crust sometime too-- I think you'll like how un-sweet it is.

Also, don't waste yr sympathy on that man...he managed to eat a slice of pizza, mussels, chorizo, sausage, eggs Benedict, Korean spicy pork, tongue, and lord knows what else in 48 hours. Yep, I was keeping track

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a fun pick. I have not had a chance to make it yet...no pecans in the house..but plan too soon. It looks delicious! :)

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You know it's a winner when you decide to make the same pie twice in one week (and for Christmas dinner, no less!). Enjoy!

Flourchild said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you for the great choice..it's so good and my family loved it!
Merry Christmas!

Bella Baker said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yum!! Your pie looks amazing!! Great pick this week! I really enjoyed this! I made them into mini pies!

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks so, so much for picking this one! My husband also made puppy eyes at me when I told him this was coming up for TWD. We dont' usually make pecan pie (his favorite) for holidays because of some nut issues in our extended family. So I made him make it for Thanksgiving. :)

Susan said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your pie looks great. I had some problems with runny filling, but my hubby went nuts for this pie. Liked it better than his Mom's!

Katy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yum!! This was a great choice -- thank you!

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It was a good pie, and a good choice. Thanks, Beth.

margot said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your pie looks fantastic! I loved this recipe, great choice. This one is definitely worth making a second time, hope your husband enjoys his choice.

Nancy/n.o.e said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This was a perfect pick, especially since it was posted in time for me to bake it for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm relieved to know that your husband will have lots of this pie on Christmas. What a way to celebrate!! My husband loves pie also, but can't eat chocolate. He used to love pecan pie until he baked one himself (years ago). One look at all that corn syrup and sugar, etc, and he never has enjoyed it as much.

Anne said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This was a fun choice- glad it was a hit for you!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks great! I skipped it because I have so much other holiday baking going on, but it got a lot of great reviews, so I think you made a great pick!

CookiePie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a lovely pie!! Perfect choice.

Isabelle said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much for this great choice, we loved it! Yours look beautiful! Happy Holidays!

Leslie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This was a fabulous pick! It was universally loved by all who tasted it.

Cakelaw said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I agree, this was a doozy! Thanks for picking it - I enjoyed it very much.

Jules Someone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for picking a great recipe. Nice!

Jacque said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for a great pick. I really enjoyed it.

Yours looks delish!

steph- whisk/spoon said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

thanks for a great addition to my christmas table! hopefully alex got a nice big slice in the end!

Hindy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great choice! I never would have made this without encouragement and it was delicious. Thanks!

Cynthia said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for choosing this recipe. I made the pie into small cookies (using mini-muffin pans) and was thrilled with the results.I appreciate you choosing the recipe. Someday....I will get to choose one, as well Happy new year.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This was absolutely delectable! We were all fortunate to get some of the Pecan Chcolate Pie at Thanksgiving and I indeed got a slice to keep after Beth and Alex went back home after the holiday.
Psssssssss ... I ate it for breakfast and suddently, it was gone!
Thanks for the treat, Beth.