July 16, 2010

Mangia! Eggplant Parmesan


The other day, I was hit so hard with a craving for eggplant parm. It was all I could think about. I had no idea where this craving came from, and then I remembered that my friend Stephanie had made eggplant parm a few days ago and asked me for cooking tips. I blame her! Well...okay, not really, since it was delicious and totally hit the spot.

The recipe I used is a no-fry one, which is a lot healthier and easier. One large eggplant was more than enough for me and Alex (and our appetites). We both had two helpings. Hey, I'm eating for two! It's allowed!

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant, thinly sliced (peeling is optional)
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
4-5 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Lay the eggplant slices on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and allow them to sit for 5 minutes. Repeat on the other side. This draws out some of the moisture from the eggplant, removes some bitterness, and makes it easier to bake.

Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes on each side.

In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.

0 comments: