September 14, 2010

Healthy Turkey Tacos

I finally let Alex eat Mexican food again. He's so excited.

When I was about 7 weeks pregnant, he mentioned craving a burrito, and all of a sudden, all I could smell and taste was sauteed peppers and onions. And I nearly...well...you know what happens during 1st trimester food aversions. So, from that point onward, Mexican food was banned in our house. I couldn't stand to smell it, I couldn't see it on TV, I couldn't even listen to Alex talk about it. It just kept bringing me back to that *awful* smell of sauteed peppers that still, to this day, makes me gag. UGH.

Finally, about 3 weeks ago, I was ready to venture back. No icky stuff, but I could handle spicy food and to be honest, beans smothered in cheese sounded absolutely divine. So we cautiously tried an old favorite, Tamale Pie. And I was okay. Which lead to a Mexican restaurant. And I was okay. So, I took pity on the poor man and made him tacos last night. These were delicious!

I snagged this recipe from a blog I found, Life's Too Short to Eat Fat Free Cheese. Ain't that the truth? She adapted this recipe from Everyday Foods, and I put a few personal tweaks in there as as well. The filling is so flavorful that it doesn't need a lot of topping options. I used an avocado to replace the creaminess of cheese, and tried it with a little Tofutti sour cream.

And just as a side note, it's impossible to eat tacos and stay clean, so the dog was super happy to catch any drips on the floor. She's a good sport like that.

Turkey Tacos
adapted from Fat Free Cheese

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (I only used 1)
1/2 TBS ground cumin
1/2 TBS chili powder (I used 1 TBS for more kick)
1/2 TSB ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (use more or less based on your spice tolerance)
1 pound lean (93/7) ground turkey
8 oz. can no salt added tomato sauce (I used 1 cup salsa)
salt and pepper to taste (omitted)

Instructions:
Warm oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander and red pepper and the ground turkey. Cook, breaking up the turkey as it cooks, until the turkey is browned — about 5-7 minutes.

Stir in the tomato sauce or salsa. Let it come up to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer until the sauce thickens up — about 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comments:

Jen (Life's Too Short to Eat Fat Free Cheese) said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for the link! The tacos look great! Glad you liked them.