November 2, 2010

Halloween & Old Bay Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I have such wonderful memories of pumpkin carving with my family when I was little. My dad would lug a big pumpkin onto our kitchen table (covered in newspaper, of course) and Ada and I would dig out the guts, shrieking in grossed-out delight. All while my mom took Polaroids and then roasted the seeds. If only I could find those pics somewhere!


After we carved a silly or scary face, my dad would rig up the pumpkin above our front door and hook up a light through the guest bedroom window. He's an engineer, so I'm pretty sure that this was like playtime for him. I was so proud that our house had a carved and lit pumpkin, standing tall and proud where everyone could see it!

This past Halloween, Alex wanted to carve a pumpkin and I wanted to roast the seeds. I can't wait for him to start a pumpkin carving tradition with our little goblin (due in 6 weeks..AHHH!). He drew a face freehand and went to town, while I took care of seed-prep. We lit a candle inside the pumpkin as soon as it got dark and the neighborhood kids loved it.

It's incredibly easy to roast pumpkin seeds, but it does take a little prep work. You have to wash them right away, or the "guts" will dry and it's impossible to remove them. But overall, it's a delicious snack to munch on while opening the door to Wolverine, Harry Potter, DJ Lance, Hannah Montana and the cutest little firefighter ever.

Ingredients:
Pumpkin seeds
Oil
Old Bay (or any other seasoning you like!)
Salt

Instructions:
Preheat your oven to 325.

After removing the "guts" from your pumpkin, rinse all the seeds under cold water, in a colander. Remove them from the stringy pumpkin, making sure to get it all off or it will dry on there. Pat dry with a towel.

Toss the seeds in a bowl with a little oil and seasonings, and then spread in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until they are dry and slightly toasted. Enjoy!


This was my costume...I was an 8-ball. I mean, really...what else could I possibly be with this ginormous belly??

0 comments: