June 2, 2011

Cold Brewed Iced Coffee


Yes, I am posting about how to make coffee. I finally made peace with Mr. Coffee and can brew a nice cup of hot joe in the morning. However, when the thermometer tips over 80 by 9AM, the only thing I want is a HUGE glass of iced coffee. Sure, I could brew a pot and then let it cool, and then pour it over ice, but there is just something lost in that process. Either the coffee sits out for too long, cooling, or it's too watery because the ice melted right away...etc.

Or I'm shelling out $2 for a medium iced Dunkin hazelnut. Which, while delicious, will rapidly deplete your bank account if you do it every morning.

Then I remembered hearing about a new way to make delicious iced coffee at home, and it's so ridiculously easy, I can't believe I didn't do it before. For some reason, when you brew coffee this way, the flavor changes slightly. It's a little deeper, more concentrated, and less acidic. Some people like it, others don't, but it works for me!

Ingredients:
1/3 cup ground coffee (medium coarse grind, if you can. If not, no worries)
1.5 cups room temperature water
Double or triple quantities as you desire.

Instructions:
Combine water and coffee in a container, and stir to remove any lumps. Allow it to sit out overnight, covered.

To serve, strain the coffee through a fine mesh filter (I used the one that comes with our coffee maker) into another container with a lid. Pour out as much as you want, keeping in mind that it's a little more concentrated that hot-brewed coffee. Doctor it up, or drink it straight. Store the rest in the fridge, covered.

1 comments:

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can't wait to try this this summer. With a heat wave arriving tomorrow, maybe sooner rather than later...