December 13, 2011

The Magnificient 3

Ugly picture, delicious sauce

This recipe took me by surprise. I'd seen it floating around food blogs for a while, but I didn't pay much attention. Sauce from only 3 ingredients? No spices? No garlic? Please.

Oh, I was so so wrong.

There is magic in this sauce. The 3 ingredients blend and simmer together, creating a velvety, rich, tangy, sweet and incredibly delicious tomato sauce that you can use on anything from plain spaghetti to your favorite lasagna recipe.

Alex and I made a few adjustments to this, but nothing drastic. We cut back on the butter a little bit, leave in the onion, and use the immersion blender at the end (hence the orange color of my sauce above).

Please go make this tonight. You won't be sorry. Make it and then come back and tell me how much you loved it. I triple dog dare you.

Tomato Sauce
adapted from Smitten Kitchen (and a bajillion other food blogs)

Ingredients:
1 28-oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
5 TBS butter (we only use 3)
1 yellow onion, peeled and cut in half

Instructions:
Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes.

Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.

Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste. If you like the flavor of stewed onions, as we do, leave them in. To make it smooth, stick in your immersion blender and carefully blend.

1 comments:

Erika said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh Beth you will enjoy this...had this on our weekly menu and the husband wanted to get it started before I got home. I sent him the recipe and he said it seemed easy enough. You can imagine my horror to find out that he used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Light in it instead of butter! I have sticks of it in the door for cooking and baking. That tub is only for toast. I added the butter anyway. We'll see if it tastes vile as a result. He has done stuff like this before. The culinary arts is not his specialty.