August 21, 2012

TWD Baking with Julia


After a loooooong hiatus, I'm back! I needed to focus on work and family for a little while, but I missed my food blogging. So I jumped in with both feet and joined the newest TWD group. I really loved being a part of the original Tuesdays With Dorie (Greenspan) group, and this one is probably going to be just as delicious. Maybe a bit more difficult, but I'm still excited. 

We are following Dorie's book, Baking with Julia, published in the mid-90's. I bought my copy used, from Amazon, and it came from a Goodwill shop in California, with "Rosie's Cookbook" written in the cover. I wonder who Rosie is, and I hope she knows her cookbook is being brought back to life!

I've never made popovers before, because I always assumed that you needed the popover pan. FALSE! YOU DON'T! Dorie told me so. You can just use a muffin pan, spacing out the batter to every other tin. Ta-da! Fresh hot popovers on Saturday morning. Loved by husbands and toddlers alike. Try them yourself, using the recipe posted here!

These were good - but not great. I think I'd add something more to the batter next time, maybe a pinch more salt or even a bit of sugar. I guess they are supposed to be a vehicle for butter/jam/clotted cream, but I would like them to have a little more flavor as a stand-alone treat. Lots of fun to get back into it, though, and look out for MORE Dorie/Julia deliciousness! 

Also, coming soon...NEW BLOG NAME and look! 

8 comments:

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I agree with you, they are probably better with some addition like cheese or herbs. Thanks for baking along today!

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your changes/additions sound good. I love popovers and have grown up eating them with gravy. I will have to try the sweet ones everyone is talking about. Good luck with the renaming of the blog!

Katrina said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Welcome back to TWD and blogging! Nice to start with such a simple, delicious recipe!

Spike said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Def a vehicle for deliciousness!

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I am guilty of writing in my cookbooks! I love written comments in used books ~ it adds character.
This was a fun recipe for sure.
Welcome back to the blogging world!

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I forgot to say that I added some Gruyère cheese to the top ~ made them quite tasty.

Beth said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Cathleen
I write notes in my cookbooks, too! My MIL got me into this idea - she writes the date, event and thoughts on the recipe. I love flipping through her books to see all the family occasions and dates.

Cher Rockwell said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like that you had a re-purposed book - the thing I love about older cookbooks is finding the cook's notes. It's like finding a treasure :-)