August 16, 2008

Mexican Soup

So I have a bunch of posts to add since we moved and I'll slowly post them on here. This soup is another Weight Watchers recipe. It's a Zero Point soup and since Alex and I love the flavor of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, I knew I had to try it. However, I was in such a rush that I made two HUGE mistakes:

1) I didn't wear gloves when chopping the jalapeno. NOT smart.
2) I didn't remove the seeds before I pureed the chipotle pepper. Again, NOT smart.
So, in this case, do as I say, not as I do. :-)

Ingredients:
6 cups vegetable broth
14 ounces canned diced tomato, Mexican-style preferred
2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed into bite-sized pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small zucchini (I did not use this b/c we hate the texture of cooked zucchini)
1 cup tomatillo, cubed (start with about 2 medium tomatillos)
1/2 medium poblano chili pepper, chopped (left this out b/c Giant didn't have any)
1 medium jalapeƱo, membranes and seeds removed, minced
1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
2 roasted red peppers packed in water (Again, I left these out b/c I can't stand roasted red peppers)
1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (these are found in small cans in the 'Mexican' section)
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice (from 2 limes)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Optional Additions: tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese

Instructions:
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven on MEDIUM HIGH.
Add the vegetables and spices (canned tomatoes through oregano) as they're prepped.
Add the broth.
Whiz the red peppers and chipotle pepper in a mini food processor and stir in. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE CHIPOTLE SEEDS FIRST
Cover and bring to a boil.
Once at a boil, partly uncover the soup, reduce the heat to maintain a slow simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in salt, lime juice and cilantro. Serve immediately.

We thought it needed a little something, so I crumbled up baked tortilla chips and topped it with fat free cheddar cheese. This upped the points value, clearly, but it added a good flavor and crunch.
Also, if you're stupid like me and don't wear gloves when dealing with the jalapeno, wash your hands in milk. The dairy counteracts the capsaicin, which is the source of heat in peppers. If you don't have milk, try smearing yogurt or sour cream on your hands instead. DO NOT touch your eyes, nose, or lips until you've gotten off the capsaicin. Trust me on this.

0 comments: