September 3, 2008

Eggs Shakshuka (shack-shoo-kah)

Out of all the places in the world that I've been fortunate enough to visit, Israel is and always will be my favorite. It's really a second home for me, as I've been there so many times and feel immediately comfortable when I'm there. After I graduated high school, I lived there for a year and really fell in love with the country, culture, people and most especially...the FOOD! I gained about 20 lbs when I lived there because of all the delicious delicacies (okay, it was probably from the constant supply of Marzipan Rugalach, but whatever! Ask any American who has lived in Jerusalem and they will agree...totally worth it! See above picture for proof...I'm the chubby blonde in the overalls)

One popular dish in Israel is Eggs Shakshuka. It's really easy to make, but oh so good. My mother in law fell in love with this dish too, when she was there, and she made it one morning for a Sunday brunch. I couldn't believe it! I was thrilled.

The base can be as simple as using a regular jar of spaghetti sauce or if you're up for it, making your own. We love adding Za'atar , which is a great Middle Eastern spice, but if you don't have it, you can use oregano, hot pepper, paprika, basil...whatever you want! It's a really versatile recipe, so you can personalize it to your tastes.

Ingredients:
1 jar spaghetti sauce (basically enough to fill up a deep saute pan)
Spices (I recommend Za'atar!)
1-2 eggs per person (depending on how hungry everyone is)
Pita bread, or other type of crusty bread
Optional - garlic, minced well into the sauce

Instructions:
Heat up sauce and spices in a deep saute pan until bubbling. Carefully crack the eggs on top of the bubbling sauce. DO NOT STIR. Some people like to break up the yolks, but again, up to you. The heat from the sauce will cook the eggs. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the eggs are set. Bring the pan directly to the table and serve each person an egg with sauce. Use the bread to sop up the sauce. Bon Appetite! Or, as we say in Hebrew - B'tay Avohn!


Okay, so I'm still working on pretty food pictures...but it's delicious so that makes it okay :-)

4 comments:

Cate said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love za'atar! I just bought some and cooked with it for the first time yesterday. I think I'm going to put it on EVERYTHING from now on!

Jen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks very interesting and I can imagine it being very good!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That looks really good! I love middle eastern foods, and music!
Very jealous of your going to Israel!

Hannah

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmmm - I'm a sucker for ethnic recipes, especially ones using ingredients I'm not too familiar with. I'll have to pick up some za-atar and give this a try!