September 3, 2008

The Greatest Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce Ever...

No, I'm not kidding! Seriously folks, this is the bomb dot com, as Alex would say. I found the recipe in Real Simple magazine (which I love and adore like it's my own child), but after moving to Baltimore, I have lost the slip of paper with the actual measurements. No worries, it's a "real simple" improvise! (tee hee...)
I took a picture of it last night, but really, it just looks like a bowl of peanut butter. Not all that interesting. We love it with grilled or stir-fried chicken, and I'm sure it would also be fantastic with beef, pork or noodles. Although, since I don't know what pork tastes like, this is a guess on my part.
Mostly everything is "to taste" because it depends on what type of peanut butter sauce flavor you favor. The vinegar adds a tang, while the soy sauce kicks up the saltiness and Asian flavor. So whatever you think is missing, add more. Start with small amounts because its easier to add than to take away!

Ingredients (this makes more than enough for 2-3 people)
1 cup of peanut butter (smooth or chunky if you want bits of peanuts for crunch)
1/4 cup hot water
Lite soy sauce, to taste. Start with about 1 TBS.
Rice wine vinegar (I don't have this, so I use white wine vinegar), to taste. Start with 1 TBS.
Hot sauce, to taste. We use this blindingly hot Thai chili sauce, known as Sriracha. I can only handle 1 teaspoon of it, but Alex loves to pour it on. So, use it accordingly!
Optional: brown sugar, to up the sweetness if you want. Not necessary, though! If you do add brown sugar, mix this with the hot water so it can dissolve.

Instructions:
Put peanut butter and hot water in a bowl and mix until smooth. Add more hot water if you need a smoother consistency (I almost always do). Add soy sauce and vinegar, and mix well. Taste and adjust for flavor. Add hot sauce at the end, and mix well. Serve alongside chicken, beef, pork or noodles and enjoy!

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I make mine peanut butter sauce similar to yours! I'm lucky that DH doesn't like peanut butter so I don't have to share :)