September 27, 2008

Helene's Delicious Blueberry Tart

My mom is a fabulous baker. She's great at cooking, as well (no one makes chicken soup like my mommy), but I got my baking genes from her. We both bake when we're worried or stressed, or just for fun. She loves to bake for family and friends and rarely forgets to make me my favorite Mandel Bread when I come home for a visit.
This recipe is hers and she makes it all the time. It's so easy and looks incredibly elegant. Alex and I were invited for Shabbat dinner at our friends, Dana and Michaels, and I volunteered to make dessert. I didn't have the right tart pan, so it bubbled out a little bit, but no worries. The correct pan would be a tart pan with fluted edges and a removable bottom. This is completely dairy-free, so if you're Kosher, it can be served with a meat meal. I had some frozen cranberries so I threw them in with the blueberries for a little extra tartness.
Ingredients:
1.5 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh is fine)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar (divided into 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup softened margarine (if you want to use butter, that would be fine)
1 TBS lemon juice
3 TBS quick-cooking tapioca (you can find it in the baking aisle near the jello mixes)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425.
Combine berries, lemon juice, sugar and tapioca, cinnamon into a bowl and toss lightly with a fork. Let is sit for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar salt and margarine in a food processor, pulse until it's crumbled. Remove 3/4 cup of mixture and set aside. This will become the crumb topping later. Press the remaining dough into a tart pan, across the bottom and up the sides evenly.
After 15 minutes, spoon the berries into the crust and spread out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, and then remove. Sprinkle the crust-mixture evenly over the top and bake for another 20 minutes. If it's bubbling, it's done!
To serve, remove the sides so that the tart is free-standing. You can use whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, also. YUM!
Rock on, Mom :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Dear Brina.
It sure sounds like you're into that baking thing.
But I just wonder.....the kinds of skills and talents about which you write which you've inherited from your mother, must have been handed down either genetically or through family ties from earlier generations to her.
How far back can you trace this extraordinary talent and devotion to the sweet side of the table? Surely there must be other names in this chain of dilettantes of the delectable.
Sweet Toothed Timmy

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing your mother's recipe :) I will have to give it a try when I get some fresh blueberries.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Dear Brina ... Yes, this looks so good. You have all the traits of a great cook and baker because you are courageous in the kitchen and artful in the presentation.
I am going to try this dessert this weekend. Thanks for sharing it.
... Alex's Mom and Your Loving Mother in law

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Dear Brina ...
I think that I goofed up on a message so I am trying again. Pardon my errors.
This looks like a delicious dessert and I am going to try it this weekend. You have all the traits of a great cook and baker ... courageous in the kitchen and artful in the presentation.
Thanks for sharing this image and dessert.
... Alex's mom and your loving mother in law