September 28, 2008

Operation Baking Gals

I am so efficient! I knew that I needed to bake cookies for my group in Operation Baking Gals and I needed to do a TWD rewind from the list, since I wasn't able to make Creme Brulee. I figured that I would do a TWD cookie recipe from the past and ship that along with my other cookies, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and my favorite, Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Chocolate Chip cookie. Things didn't turn out exactly how I had planned, but overall, I'm very pleased.
I will post my failed attempt at Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread tomorrow, because Tuesday is Rosh Hashanah and I won't be posting :-)

First things first - Operation Baking Gals! I am so excited to be a part of this group. There were too many teams to choose from, so I just did "eenie meenie miney mo." Mature, right? Honestly, it didn't matter who I was baking for...I was just happy to be doing it. I made two new recipes for the troops and they both turned out deliciously! I wanted to give them a fall flavor since it's nearly October here and they will miss the lovely change of seasons and all that fall brings. This recipe got the best reviews on allrecipes.com, and it's great! I also wanted to include a tried-and-true favorite, chocolate chip cookies (CCC), but with a twist! This one features pieces of already baked CCC mixed into the dough, and then baked off as a CCC in a CCC. And who doesn't love more chocolate?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Chocolate Chip Cookie

This recipe is very meta, as my sister-in-law says. I came across the recipe during some blog surfing and I knew I had to try it. It just takes the yumminess factor of CCC and turns it waaaay up. I found it in ....and a cookie for dessert, and it originally came from the cookbook, Big Fat Cookie.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar (I used dark brown)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Sift the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until blended, about 1 minute.
Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixer.
Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until blended, about 1 minute.
On low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing just until it is incorporated.
Mix in the chocolate chips.
Drop 10 heaping tablespoons of dough 3 inches apart onto one of the prepared baking sheets.
Set aside the remaining dough.
Bake until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned but the centers are golden, about 13 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Break the cooked cookies into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Add the pieces to the reserved dough and mix on low speed to distribute them evenly, about 10 seconds. Drop heaping tablespoons of new dough about 3 inches apart, and bake for about 13-15 minuted, until browned but still soft in the middle.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies - from allrecipes.com
Whenever I think of fall, I think of pumpkin/spicy flavors and smells. I wanted to bake something like this to give the troops a taste of fall. The cookies are moist and cakey, with a lovely spice flavor. The pumpkin isn't as intense I wanted, and while the chocolate is a really good addition, I think it overpowers the pumpkin and spices. Next time, I'll leave out the chips and add more walnuts. Also, when I do make these again, I'll substitute a cup of applesauce for the cup of oil (eek!). This recipe also makes a boatload of cookies. Seriously, the batter just kept going and going...

Ingredients:

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Add pumpkin, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat on medium speed until well mixed.
Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
Bake for 13-14 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
Cool for 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.


I followed the packing instructions on the OBG website and carefully packed the cooled cookies in between layers of paper towels and apple peels, and then taped and labeled my containers. I also included some packages of gum and single serve fruit punch drink mix. I hope the cookies make it over there okay and I hope that they enjoy them!


1 comments:

spike. said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've made pumpkin chocolate chip bread before but never cookies- great idea