September 29, 2008

TWD Rewind - Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread

...or at least, it should have been.

Dorie, I'm sorry. I have failed you. After baking nearly 5 dozen cookies all day Sunday for Operation Baking Gals, I knew my cookie-luck had to run out eventually. And run out it did!
This weeks TWD selection was Creme Brulee, chosen by the lovely Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake. Her blog is awesome, so please check it out when you get a chance! The leaders of TWD allowed those of us without a torch to chose a TWD recipe from the past, and I wanted to make another cookie that I could ship out. I saw the Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread and thought "Oh, how hard could it be? It's just butter, sugar, nuts and some flour! C'mon, I can totally do this..."
Um, yeah, not so much.

I think where I went wrong was in rolling the dough too thin, therefore leading to really thin cookies. See?

The flavor was right; crumbly and buttery with a hint of sweetness from the brown sugar and cloves. However, because the cookies were wafer thin, the butter oozed out all over my fingers whenever I tried to pick one up. Not so appetizing. However, my dessert-loving husband thinks they are delicious, so I guess it's not a total loss?

**I apologize for posting this on Monday, instead of Tuesday. Rosh Hashana starts tonight and I won't post tomorrow. **

7 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i'll bet they'd be good crumbled up to use as a topping for vanilla ice cream, or something like that. l'shanah tovah!

Kimberly said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hey, if they taste good, what's a bit of buttery ooze?? :) I haven't made that recipe yet (this is just my 4th week with TWD), but it looks so good. I'll remember your warning and try not to roll the dough too thin. Happy Tuesday!

Engineer Baker said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I had difficulty with these - mine spread like crazy. Yours look wonderfully crispy though.

Mari said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sorry your shortbread didn't turn out as you hoped! I advise refrigeration before baking, it really helps the dreaded spread whilst baking!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Aww, sorry your cookies didn't really turn out. I've been wanting to try that recipe as well and appreciate knowing not to roll them too thin. They sound wonderful! I posted the link to the No Hurry Vegetable Curry for you :)

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

a lot of people had trouble with these, including me. They tasted great though!

Jules Someone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

L'shanah tovah! I had a problem with these cookies. Lots of refrigeration is the key