November 29, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving! TWD "Pumpcan" Twofer Pie

I am so very proud of this pie. Yes, it's a little late in terms of the TWD posting schedule, but since it was Thanksgiving, a little flexibility is allowed. Besides, I was way too full to get my butt up to the computer until now.

After reading the comments section online, I decided to do some research and see what other Thanksgiving Twofer pie recipes call for. The ingredients were the same, but others stated to spoon the pecan mixture on top of the pumpkin, in order to acheive the layers. I also noted the different baking times and temperatures. In the end, I decided to try the spooning method because I really wanted to see if I could make the layered pie. And I did!

Dorie's directions tell you to pour pumpkin, sprinkle on the nuts, and then pour in the pecan syrup mixture so that it all blends together. I mixed the nuts and syrup together and then carefully spooned it over the pumpkin layer. I also didn't use the full batch of pumpkin, because the other bakers noted it was too much. I used the leftover to make Alex a mini-pie, ala Engineer Baker style :-)

Alex's mini-pie

This pie turned out fantastically! It was so delicious and the pecan layer hardered into a really sweet and crunchy crust on top of the pumpkin. It didn't photograph as well as I wanted, since it was a little tough to cut through the pecan layer. But trust me, it was gooooooood.

A slice of delicious

Everyone loved it and I will definitely make it again this way. But, alas...I can't take credit for this dough. I was really pressed for time and went with a store bought shell. Next time I'll make my own.

6 comments:

Engineer Baker said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mini pies make everything better, don't they? I'm glad you actually got it to layer, it looks wonderful. Did you end up changing up baking times and temps at all?

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That looks great - I think the spooning technique was the way to go. Nice job!

vibi said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much Beth, for participating with me this week! And yes, you have every reason to be proud of such beautiful pie! I'm also glad to read you liked it so much.

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm definitely going to try this soon - looks so delicious and with a combo of flavors like that, what's not to love?! :)

Bungalow Barbara said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks lovely! I poured the pecan pie filling on top and it didn't seem to mix up with the lower layer much. Maybe the layer of pecans helped with that. Wasn't this a fun combo?

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks great! The spooning idea is a good one - I used the pour method and while the pecans all ended up on top I don't think there was as much of the pecan pie filling on them as I would have liked.

I'm glad it was such a hit for you!