December 10, 2008

TWD: Dorie's Grandmothers All-Occasion Sugar Cookies


I had a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Oh dreidel I shall play...
It has a lovely body
With legs so short and thin
And when it gets all tired
It drops and then I win
Oh! Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel!
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Oh dreidel I shall play!

This weeks TWD post was chosen by Ulrike from Küchenlatein (great blog! Check it out!), and I was very excited to break out my lucky Hannukah cookie cutters. Many other bloggers claimed that it was easier to roll, freeze, slice, and bake, but I was determined to push through. After I read the Comments and Questions section online, I decided that I needed to treat these cookies like my snickerdoodles - chill the dough, chill the baking sheet, chill the cookies again before baking. And it worked! Well, mostly.

You can see that the dreidels spread a teeny weeny bit, and that's my fault for not chilling them long enough. I also tried to carve the Hebrew letters into each dreidel, but that didn't really work! In case you ever wondered what the letters mean, they are the letters Nun, Gimel, Hey, Shin, which stand for the sentence: Nes Gadol Haya Sham or A Great Miracle Happened There (referring to the story of Hannukah).

The cookies are really delicious and the dough came together very easily. I don't have a regular "go to" recipe so I can see myself going back to this one again. I had grand plans to ice them all with great colors, but the finished cookies were sweet enough without icing. I don't think I would have been able to enjoy them had I coated them with frosting. So, I went with the family tradition and used blue sprinkles, just like my Mom and Bubbie used to do!

Put on your yarmulke
Here comes Hannukah
So much fun-ukah
To celebrate Hannukah!

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I need to try this recipe as it looks wonderful!

Cristine said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cute cookies!!! Love them!

#1SAHM said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

now I have both those songs in my head LOL : ) Have a happy Hanukkah!