February 23, 2009

Lemon-Lime Cookie Crisps


When I went through my baking frenzy this past Friday night, I knew I had to make something WW-friendly that I could snack on and not feel badly about. I'm not sure how much it helped, since I still nibbled on some pieces of the Caramel Crunch Bars (recipe to come tomorrow!), but these were a tasty surprise that I'll definitely make again!

The only thing I would change is to spread the batter out even more thinly on the baking sheet so that the cookies stay translucent. I was a little too conservative and they weren't really 3 inches across, like the directions state. When they were too thick, they just stayed chewy and sticky. They tasted really good, but the texture wasn't the best. The instructions told me to separate the batter and make 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime, but I wanted the two flavors together, which ended up being delicious. Next time, I might even try orange zest for a true citrus extravaganza!

Ingredients:
3 1/3 TBS unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar (I might cut back on this next time, just a little bit)
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup cake flour (I used regular)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon zest, finely chopped
2 tsp lime zest, finely chopped

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place parchment paper on 2 cookie sheets.
Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy (Mine didn't exactly cream, but came together in a gritty-like mixture. Not a big deal). Add the egg whites and stir until just blended. Sift cake flour over butter mixture and mix with a spoon; fold in the vanilla.
Remove half of batter and place in a medium bowl; set aside. Fold lemon zest into one bowl and lime zest into other bowl. Or, you can be like me and just throw it all in there together. Yeah, I'm a rebel.
Drop heaping teaspoons of batter onto prepared cookie sheets leaving at least 3-inches between each cookie. When cookie sheet is full, flatten out cookies with back of a spoon so cookies look almost translucent and measure about 3-inches across. (You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your cookie sheets.)
Bake until edges start to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven and quickly transfer cookies to a cooling rack using a thin metal spatula. Yields 4 cookies per serving.

3 comments:

AHT said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These look really good!

I've done something similar with lemon bars... might have to try the crisps. I have been craving crunchy lemon things!

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i like how easy this recipe is - especially the use of both lemon and lime zest!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

There must be something in the cosmos as my gf just made these roughly the same day... now what to do with the lemon and lime..hmmm