February 22, 2009

Tuscan Casserole

I think casserole is one of those generic terms that's used to describe a multitude of kitchen concoctions. I tended to shy away from casseroles because you never knew what was really in them. Paula Deen loooves making casseroles with cream of whatever soups, mayo and other heart-clogging delights. Shrimp and grits casserole anyone?

This dish is a WW recipe that I had seen a few times, but always skipped over because the online picture looked weird. Yes, I judge a recipe by the picture. So? Finally, I decided to try it after I made myself read through the ingredients. I already had ricotta in the fridge from a stuffed shells attempt (okay, but not blog-worthy) and I just had Alex pick up the other ingredients for me. It was easy to throw together and I baked it off before I had to go and staff a middle-school dance. Oy, that's a whole other story for another time.

The casserole was pretty good! It was a little salty, so I'll cut back on the amount next time, but I will definitely make this again. It's a good main meal for me, but wouldn't be filling enough for Alex. I think it would be a good brunch side-dish, also. In fact, I'm eating some leftovers right now. Sorry, did I get crumbs on you?

Ingredients:
1 15-oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
10-oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup egg substitute
1.5 tsp salt (I would only use 1 tsp or less next time)
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
8 oz sliced mushrooms
3 slices of reduced calorie bread, torn into small pieces (I found it easier to cube the bread)
2 TBS shredded parmesan cheese

Instructions:
Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350.
Combine beans, spinach, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, and saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms until the shrooms start to brown and soften, about 10 minutes. Try to let as much liquid as possible evaporate, otherwise you'll end up with a wet casserole!
Add the onion mixture to the bowl and stir to combine. Spoon everything into the baking dish and evenly top with the bread pieces. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake until bread is toasted and spinach is warmed through, about 25 minutes. This serves 8 people, 2 points per serving.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks great! Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Actually we chose to make this in the near future too. Good to know someone else has tried it. I also go by the photos sometimes. Who wants to make something that looks nasty.