March 17, 2009

TWD: Lemon Rosemary French Yogurt Cake


This delicious Dorie recipe was chosen by the lovely Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction. The French Yogurt Cake (with marmalade glaze) is a common staple in French households, according to Dorie. And after the first bite, I could see why! It's lemony, moist (I still hate that word), refreshing and sweet without being too heavy, and with a great texture. It's very similar to a pound cake but without a hint of butter. Dorie lists the Rivera version in her "playing around" section and I was drawn to the idea of trying fresh rosemary, Greek yogurt and olive oil in the cake.

I loved the way the rosemary complimented the lemon flavor with a slight background taste of herby-freshness. I think next time, and there will be a next time, I will use a stronger olive oil to get more of the fruity savoryness of good olive oil. The longer the cake sat, the stronger the lemon and rosemary flavors became; however, we both insisted on trying a few bites immediately after it came out of the oven. I whipped up a blackberry marmalade glaze and drizzled it over the hot cake. And then I snuck another little slice on my way up to bed. And another slice for breakfast. Oh, and another for dessert last night.

This cake, my friends, is not only ridiculously easy, but ridiculously delicious. Great pick this week!



14 comments:

Cristine said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your cake looks and sounds delicious!

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

glad to hear you did the rosemary and it sounds wonderful!

chocolatechic said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It was easy...and delicious.

Jennifer said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

your cake looks beautiful!!!!!

Banjo said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh so happy to hear the rosemary was great! I will have to try it, I for sure will be repeating this one.. I loved it!

Flourchild said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very nice looking cake..I loved this recipe!

Babette said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Very pretty...I love the idea of the rosemary..will try that next.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I was tempted to make the Riviera version. I'm glad it turned out and was delicious.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your cake looks great! I love how easy this recipe was.

margot said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The blackberry marmalade sounds like it would be a great complement to this fabulous cake. It's one of my favorite TWD recipes.

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks really yummy! Glad you liked it. It was really easy, wasn't it. Nice Change.

Amber Marie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I was wondering how the rosemary Riveria take would be - glad it turned out well! Love the blackberry glaze. It's such a nice color and I love anything with blackberries.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I know I shouldn't ask this but where does it stand on the WW point list?

Engineer Baker said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh that glaze sounds fantastic. I almost put rosemary in, but didn't have any fresh around. Beautiful!