May 14, 2009

Bubbie Ruth's Spinach Lasagna


Ever come back from vacation and feel like you need another vacation to catch up on everything? That's how I felt last night. I had a suitcase full of sand covered clothes, 140+ work emails, a few angry voice mails (don't people understand the meaning of "I'm out of the office..."?) and a totally empty fridge. I managed to scrounge up enough scraps for lunch, but I knew that I would have to hit up the Giant for the rest of the meals this week.

I was also thinking about my original plan for when I started this blog. I wanted to post family recipes, and in the course of doing WW, I got a little off track from that. Totally understandable, as many of the family recipes call for Crisco or schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)! But there are a bunch of recipes that I can tweak to be a little healthier and some that are just good clean healthy meals. This lasagna is one of them! And it's so easy, I can't believe I didn't post it sooner.

It's a good foundation lasagna, so you can add anything you want to it. I like it pretty basic, but I think I'll double the spinach next time. I'm sure you non-Kosher folks could add meat to it, but I don't know how or where.

Ingredients:
1 lb part skim ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzerella, divided
1 egg
1 package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained well
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Italian seasoning (or 2 tsp oregano)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 jar pasta sauce (30 oz)
9 lasagna noodles UNCOOKED
1/2 cup water (the water will steam the noodles while it cooks)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350.
In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, spinach, egg, seasonings and 1 cup of the mozzerella. I use eggbeaters so that I can taste it for proper seasoning. In a 9x13 baking dish, layer 1 cup of sauce, 3 lasagna noodles, and 1/2 the cheese mixture. Repeat. End with the remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of mozzerella cheese on top. Pour the water around the edges of the pan, cover TIGHTLY with foil and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

YUM! sounds delicious. I love spinach.

the happy family said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

looks great! i love sneaking in spinach whenever i can.

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love lasagna to use up random ingredients I have on hand - this looks fantastic!