May 26, 2009

Sweet & Spicy Chicken


I adore Real Simple magazine. It's the only one that I have a subscription for and it always makes me smile when I get the latest one in our mailbox. They have great recipes, really creative household tips and very interesting articles. Usually, I tear out the recipes I want to try and stuff them in a folder, never to be seen again. But this one jumped out at me because I've been looking for a new way to do a basic roast chicken. My usual method is just olive oil, rosemary, thyme, with some "Poultry Seasoning", and it's delicious. But occasionally, I want to spice things up...know what I mean?

This recipe creates a paste-like spice rub that I coated the chicken with, and even worked some of it under the skin. I don't eat the skin, so I wanted to get the flavor directly onto the meat as well. Then I popped the chicken in the oven and it was perfectly done in 45 minutes. I served it with roasted grape tomatoes and broccoli. The recipe is a really flavorful way to do chicken. I will definitely try it again!

Ingredients:
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt & pepper
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces or a 3-4 lb roasting chicken

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400.
Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chicken in a roasting pan or large baking dish. Combine all the ingredients together to form a thick paste. Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken, making sure to get some of it underneath the skin on the breast.
Cook for 45-55 minutes, until a thermometer reads 165+ when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken (usually near a joint or the thigh). Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving it so that the juices redistribute.
Enjoy!

0 comments: