June 23, 2009

Chicken with Stewed Tomatoes and Artichokes


I'm back in the game, baby! Well, rather, my weekly meal planning is back on track. It makes my life so much easier. I just take some time on Sunday to pick out the weeks meals and then do my grocery shopping according to the recipes. This way, there is none of the "Ugh, it's 6PM. What the *&%^ are we making for dinner?" Although as I type this, I realize that I forgot to defrost the ground beef for tonights meatloaf, so this will be a pantry-raid night. Epic Fail.

Last night was a new recipe. I hit my kitchen groove and made my chicken dish, Crash Hot Potatoes, and another Lemon Rosemary French Yogurt Cake. I love that cake. It's so freakin' easy and delicious. Anyways, I digress...this post is about the chicken! This recipe (a WW one) is a good one. I made a few tweaks, but nothing major. Next time I do this, I won't cook the chicken for the full 25 minutes, because it was a tad dry, but overall I loved the flavor. I'm a big fan of artichoke hearts, so I added in a good amount. My changes are in italics.

Ingredients:
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces, cut in half
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes, with Italian herbs
28 oz canned artichoke hearts, without oil, drained and quartered
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp parsley, chopped (I didn't have)

Instructions:
Heat a large, nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over high heat. Brown chicken; remove and set aside.
Over medium heat, cook the onion until it's lightly browned. Add in the garlic and lemon zest, cook until fragrant. Return chicken to skillet and stir in tomatoes and artichokes. Cover partially and simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir together garlic, zest and parsley for topping. Sprinkle each piece of chicken with some garlic topping and serve. (I didn't do this because I didn't want the raw garlic on the chicken. I liked the way the lemon flavored all the sauce in the pan.)
Next time, I would do the parsley on top for a little color. I forgot to take a picture last night, so you get a picture of my lunch leftovers. Yum-o!

0 comments: