July 9, 2009

Breakfast. It's what's for dinner


Is there really anything better than breakfast for dinner? Alex and I make eggs all the time, but last night I was in the mood for something a little more fun. I found a new food blog and have been perusing all the yummy looking recipes. As soon as I saw the whole wheat pancakes, I knew I had to try them. I haven't had pancakes in soooooo long. My favorites are the IHOP Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes, but I also love the Pumpkin ones from Original House of Pancakes. Mmmmm....pancakes....

This original recipe makes 8 pancakes, normal sized (not ginormous IHOP size) and I didn't think that would be enough for us. How did I know this? Well, my bottomless pit highest freaking metabolism ever husband absolutely lives for IHOP All You Can Eat Pancake night. Seriously. His record is 10 pancakes, and remember, these are HUGE. Back in my eat-whatever-I-wanted days, I could get through 2...maybe 2 1/2 if I was really hungry. He and his friends plan a get together for this all you can eat extravaganza and shovel in as many pancakes as inhumanely possible. He's so proud of his 10. This is how I knew I should double the recipe.

And okay, so my pancakes aren't as pretty as the ones on Gina's blog post, but they were delicious! I threw in some blueberries, which made them even better, and tried to do raspberries. I have since learned that raspberries in pancakes is a bad bad idea. They burn and stick to the pan, spilling juice everwhere.

When you make these, please remember that your batter is supposed to be lumpy. Trust me, that's just how pancake batter works. Alton Brown says so. The lumps will cook out, and if you overmix your batter, trying to get rid of the lumps, you'll get tough pancakes and then nobody will want to eat them. The whole wheat flour makes them hearty and filling, but they aren't heavy. We topped ours with FF Cool Whip and sugar-free syrup, but you could also top them with jam or butter.

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup 1% milk
3 large egg whites
2 tsp oil
1 TBS sugar or honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
butter flavor cooking spray (I just used regular)

Instructions:
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix well with a spoon until there are no more dry spots. Don't over-mix! It will be lumpy and THAT'S OKAY!

Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Spray oil to lightly coat and pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter. When the pancake starts to bubble, you may add your fruit if you wish. When the bubbles settle and the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes. Once they are golden brown, remove and keep warm in the oven (on low). Repeat with the remainder of the batter.

Top with fruit, preserves, honey, or your favorite sugar-free syrup. (extra points)
Makes 8 pancakes

3.5 points per 2 pancake serving

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Mmm - breakfast for dinner! Love the use of whole wheat flour!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love breakfast for dinner. Sounds delicious.

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love breakfast for dinner. Someone told us they made their pancakes from oatmeal. My recipe calls for peanutbutter, but it is really optional. That site you found looks nice, but I was drawn to the links for like Food Gawker and such.