July 27, 2009

Green Monster

If you're from Boston and hear the words "Green Monster", you immediately think of this:


This 37-foot high wall is both tempting and teasing to right-handed hitters at Fenway Park. It's a lovely sight to behold, especially with a slice of Papa Ginos pizza in one hand and a "beah" in the other.

However, recently I learned of a new Green Monster. And while this one isn't huge, it's certainly delicious. I found a fantastic new blog to follow, Oh She Glows. It's all about healthy living and fitness, which is hilariously ironic considering how much butter and sugar I go through on a monthly basis. There are some things on there that I just don't think I could get into...but, I did give in to the curiosity of this bad boy:


Yup, that's right. It's a green smoothie - a Green Monster Smoothie, to be exact! And it's delish. There are a ton of recipes out there, all by crazy bloggers like me who have developed a nice little Green Monster Smoothie addiction, but I went with the basic beginner recipe. I'm going to tell you why it's green, but please don't freak out. Okay? Promise?

Okay.

It's green because there is spinach in there.

::crickets::


Yeah. There are about 2 cups of raw baby spinach leaves, all ground up. And you can't taste it AT ALL. Seriously. All you taste is a yummy banana smoothie. If you were blindfolded, you'd have no idea there was spinach in there. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself! There is a whole list of recipes right here, also.

Ingredients:
1 cup vanilla almond milk (you can use regular or soy, but I just can't stomach it)
1 TBS flax seeds
1 banana (frozen or not)
2 cups baby spinach. (Please don't be scared. Trust me...you can't taste it all ALL. I promise.)
Ice (optional, and you don't really need it if the banana is frozen)
Add-ins: Peanut butter, other fruit, any type of protein powder or other supplements, yogurt...the sky is the limit!

Instructions:
Place the ingredients in the blender, in the following order: Flax, Spinach, Banana, Milk. The banana will weigh down the flax and spinach and make sure that it gets "smoothied" up instead of flying around the sides.
Blend everything together, and then add the ice and blend some more. If it's too thick, add more milk. Adjust to taste.
Enjoy!

I sure did.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It looks and sounds very healthy. I'd try it.

Rachel said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

its GOOD, right? i'm even starting to like the green color! it's almost pretty (in a way).

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'll definitely have to try this...we're big Red Sox fans in our house, so I will use the "Green Monster" ploy to get my daughter to try it!