July 21, 2009

I really underestimated the creepiness...





So this week in Wilton 1 Cake Decorating was the infamous Clown Cake. Now, don't get me wrong...I don't really mind clowns. However, when I was told to purchase a bag of plastic smiling clown heads, well, that just struck me as really creepy. I had a bag of 6, but the only thing worse than a cake with one creepy smiling clown is a cake covered in 6 creepy smiling clowns.

My cake confession is that I'm using good ol' Betty Crocker for all these cakes. I just can't take the time to bake a whole cake from scratch every week. I did notice that my palate has changed, though. I found Betty's basic yellow cake to be kind of one-note, in terms of flavor. It's good, sweet, and moist...but only really has a basic taste. So this week, I experimented and dumped in a few tablespoons of Chinese Five Spice Powder. This is a mix of cinnamon, clove, ginger, anise, and fennel. Then I topped it with Wilton "Butter"cream, spiked with cinnamon and ginger. Overall, it was a pretty good spice cake, if I do say so myself.

I forgot to bring my camera to class, but you can see my new skills on the cake below. I like making flowers! I'm going to try making them on wax paper and freezing them for my final cake. This way, I can get them just right and then place them where I want on the cake.


I know the clown looks all cute and smiley, but he's really plotting evil frosting craziness. Trust me. If you listen closely, you can hear him cackle.

3 comments:

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

OMG!!! I HATED making that cake for Wilton Class. They are rather creepy, aren't they. But the next cakes are fun...

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

There is something about clowns. It sounds like a fun class though.

Jacque said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOL, you really have to wonder what Wilton is thinking with those clown heads. I have NEVER seen a decorated cake with those clown heads on it, outside of class (and I've seen LOTS of cakes). Yes, they are creepy!

Way to be a trooper, though, and do the cake anyway. Good luck with your classes!