September 16, 2009

Hungry Girl? Yes I am!

I signed up for the Hungry Girl emails because I love her recipe swaps and product recommendations. Some of the recipes aren't my style (too much artificial sweetener), but others, like this one, are a winner. As soon as I saw the email, I started craving this sandwich. And it was gooooood.

I made a few changes to the recipe, mostly because I was too lazy to print it out, but also because I didn't really want to use mayo.

"Ring My Bella Mushroom Sandwich" adapted from Hungrygirl.com

Ingredients:
1 large portabella mushroom, stem removed
1 tsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp. salt, or more to taste
2 dashes ground thyme, or more to taste
1 tbsp. fat-free mayonnaise (I omitted)
Dash cayenne pepper, or more to taste (I omitted)
1 stick light string cheese (I used a slice of FF swiss for me, and regular munster for Alex)
1 Arnold Select/Oroweat Sandwich Thins roll (LOVE these!)
1 tsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
2 dashes garlic powder
1 thick slice red onion, all rings intact
1 large slice tomato
1/2 cup shredded lettuce

Instructions:
Coat both sides of the mushroom with oil and sprinkle with salt and thyme. Gently rub the seasonings into the mushroom and set aside.

Season mayo to taste with cayenne pepper. Mix well and set aside. Pull string cheese into pieces and set aside as well.

Split apart your roll and spread the inside with butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder.

Bring a large skillet or a grill pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Place roll halves in the pan with the buttered sides down. Once warm and toasty, remove and plate with the buttered sides up.

Place mushroom in the skillet/pan, rounded side up, along with the onion, side by side. Cook on one side for about 7 minutes and then flip. Allow the mushroom to get soft and start to release some juices. Flip it back, rounded side up, and top with the cheese, until it starts to melt.

Place mushroom on the bottom half of the roll. Top with onion, tomato, and lettuce. Spread the buttered side of the roll's top half with mayo, and finish off your sandwich with it.

(this is about 5 points as written)

1 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like using portabella mushroom for meatless meals - what a great recipe using them!