September 8, 2009

Mais Oui, it's a Chocolate Souffle.

Right out of the oven

This week's airy delight was chosen by Susan, of She's Becoming DoughMesstic. It's a great recipe, easy to follow, even though I was so intimidated. Souffles come with a history of horror stories and I had it ingrained in my head that this was going to be an impossible and frustrating exercise in futility. I'm happy to say that I was very wrong!!

Everything came together perfectly and the souffles rose just like they were supposed to. I halved the recipe and got 4 ramekins and 1 small teacup worth of batter. I had never had a souffle before, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of texture or flavor. I wasn't crazy about the texture when they were just out of the oven, but I found that I liked it when they sat at room temperature for a few minutes more. However, due to the egg white volume, the longer a souffle sits, the more it will sink.

This will make a very impressive dessert for a dinner party, but the key is to time it just right so you serve as soon as it's out of the oven. I didn't have time to make a sauce, but it would taste great with a creme anglaise or a raspberry coulis (or even ice cream!).


5 minutes later, sunken souffle

9 comments:

chocolatechic said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh...it looks fabulous.

What's Cookin Chicago said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I loved how easy this was to put together - great job!

AmyRuth said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great Job!!! Its funny how we buidl up something in our heads only to discover....easy stuff.
AmyRuth

steph- whisk/spoon said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

perfect! and i agree-- so easy, too.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh yum!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your chocolate souffles look wonderful! Seems like we all overcase our souffle intimidations with chocolate souffle! =)

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Nope, doesn't take long to rise and then fall. Looks tasty, tho'

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

May I ask what you use to make yours? I have no ramekins and am looking for substitutes.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks great!