September 15, 2009

TWD: Flaky Apple Turnovers


Ahhhh...fall is in the air! As soon as I feel the first hint of a chill, I start craving all things fall. I can't wait to bake with pumpkin, apple, maple, and other delicious autumn spices. These apple turnovers were a great way to kick start my fall baking streak! Great recipe pick for September, Julie!

I'd never made turnovers before (although I've eaten plenty!) and I struggled a little bit with the proper dough thickness::apple filling ratio. As a result, mine had a little too much dough and not enough apple, but they were still fantastic. The dough is made with sour cream (oh don't worry, there's a LOT of butter in there, too) , so there is a hint of tang throughout the flakiness, and the apples are tossed with just enough cinnamon and sugar to make them melt in your mouth. I will definitely try to make these again!

6 comments:

Matthew said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These couldn't come at a better time than Rosh Hashannah. Yummy!

Flourchild said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yes fall is in the air and it's so nice!! I loved this recipe too and thought they were super yummy! Im glad you liked them. Yours look great!

Jules Someone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah! So glad you enjoyed these! I love apple recipes for Rosh Hashana. Now I can have these in the freezer for the big dinner. Thanks for baking with me!

Engineer Baker said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Like I'd ever worry about a Dorie recipe not containing enough butter :) Gorgeous turnovers!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your turnovers look great. I'm glad you liked them!

TeaLady said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Well, they look delicious to me. I love making 'hand pies' and these were easy.

Great job.