March 17, 2010

Spaghetti Squash...Tastes Great, Less Filling

The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Spaghetti squash is one of those things that I heard about when I tried the South Beach Diet a few years ago. It was 5 weeks before our wedding and the dress was a *tad* snug. Just a little bit. Just enough to throw me into the total bridezilla panic of "OHMYGOD IT DOESN'T FIT!!!! EVERYTHING WILL BE RUINED!!!" Poor Alex. He watched his normally calm and centered Beth turn into a raving calorie and carb counting lunatic. Well, I lost about 5 lbs before the wedding, the dress fit just fine and all was well. Then, I immediately gained it all back (um...and then some) as I re-embraced my love of carbs after the wedding.

To this day, I pretty much disregard everything I learned from the SBD, except for a few recipes. Spaghetti squash is one of them. When we first tried to make it, we didn't cook it long enough and it was tough and chewy. Ick. I avoided it, figuring that it was just one of those things I was destined to do incorrectly, like brew coffee. Yes, folks, I can bake French Macarons and make my own cannoli, but I can't, for the everloving life of me, brew a decent pot of coffee. And now you know my dirty little secret.

However, I squashed (ha!) that myth last night. We roasted the squash at 375, in an inch of water, for 35 minutes and then tossed it up with tomatoes, olives, capers, onions, garlic and some feta. Delicious, if I do say so myself. Now if I could just work up the courage to try coffee again...

Spaghetti Squash
adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 TBS sliced black olives (we like olives, so increased it to 1 cup)
2 TBS chopped fresh basil (didn't have. used dried)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.


Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.

Use a large fork to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.

3 comments:

Valerie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Looks delish! Any idea on the WW points or nutritional info?

Amanda said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Haha-

I am the same way with coffee!

Your spaghetti squash looks fantastic, I love it too but the ones I get are always much more yellow. Is yours white on the outside too?

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love your spaghetti squash. I was thinking, this would be great for Passover.