April 6, 2010

Curried Egg Salad


While this technically is a recipe for Passover, it's good enough to be made year round. We had quite a few leftover eggs from my baking adventures, so I decided to try an old-fashioned egg salad. However, whilst perusing recipes, I stumbled upon a Curried Egg Salad that made my mouth water. How could I not try it? I'm so glad I did, because it's delicious. Tangy, spicy, sweet, creamy, and crunchy all at once.

It was a great break from heavy brisket and kugel - perfect for a light refreshing lunch outside in the sunshine!

Curried Egg Salad
adapted from Gourmet Magazine, 1991

Ingredients:
1/4 cup bottled mayonnaise (could probably use even less and it would be just as good)
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp celery salt
3 to 4 drops of Tabasco, or to taste
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
1 TBS fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1.5 TBS bottled mango chutney, chopped
6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
3 scallions, chopped

Instructions:
In a bowl stir together the mayonnaise, the curry powder, the celery salt, the Tabasco, the cumin, the mustard, the lemon juice, and the chutney. Stir in the eggs, the celery, and the scallions and season the salad with salt and pepper.

1 comments:

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yum! I just made a curried egg salad that is very similar to this--can't wait to eat it for supper!