June 15, 2010

TWD: Raisin Swirl Bread


I wasn't going to bake this. I was going to resist the siren's song of warm, soft, sweet, doughy bread. My tiny little uterine occupant has become VERY carb-demanding and I can feel the scale rising. I was going to forgo this recipe and munch on an apple instead.

Ooops. Well, at least I ate an apple while the bread was in the oven.

Today's Dorie selection was picked by Susan of Food.Baby, and I would like to give her a warm and doughy hug. The Raisin Swirl Bread sounds intimidating, especially if you're like me and have a fear of yeast. However, it honestly couldn't be easier. There's no kneading, just mixing and rolling. The dough is soft and pliable, easy to work with, and deliciously smeared with butter, sugar, cinnamon and raisins.

My finished product was a little cracked on top, but the inside was a lovely swirl of flavor. Alex and I immediately each ate a slice and I had another one for breakfast. The bread reminds me of challah - slightly sweet and buttery with that golden stringy texture. The filling isn't too sweet, and the optional addition of cocoa powder makes for a nice flavor balance.

I'll be surprised if this makes it to Friday. That sneaky carb-loving baby.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This looks delicious! I might have to try it myself

chocolatechic said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh...how I wish I had a uterine companion to blame all my carb eating on....

I just eat it because I'm a carboholic, and this bread....hit the spot.

Cindy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

My uterine companion is now 21--can I still blame my need for carbs on him?? Fun recipe.

Heather Davis said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ha I'm laughing at Cindy's comment. I can't blame my love of carbs on a pregnancy either. But it's very much present in my life. Your bread looks great. Hope the uterine companion loved it too!

Tia said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

ditto chocolate chic! lol. take any xcuse you can get girl! lol

Lynne Daley said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Cute post! I'm sure your uterine companion will love this bread out of the womb, too. I think the cracked part looks great-very homey.

Kimberly Johnson said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your bread looks beautiful!

lola said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your bread looks wonderful and yes it is good for your "uterine companion" and you. I love the phrase, as I am a "g'ma" and guess I am not up to date on the current phraseology. (Yes, I had to look up that word in the old fashioned dictionary for spelling.)Oh well, I loved your blog post. Take care. lola

Susan said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Too funny! Your bread looks great!

natalia said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ciao Beth ! Congratulations for the tiny eater ! Love your bread !

Paula said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What a great excuse you have to make and eat more bread. Texture of your bread is perfection.