July 28, 2010

You Say Potato, I say Frittata...


What, those aren't the real lyrics? I know, I know, but it was hard to make a frittata without singing that song :-)

This was a very light and easy dinner to throw together, after a long and tiring day. I turned to my trusty friend, Mark Bittman, for his glorious "How to Cook Everything" cookbook genius. No, seriously, this book will literally tell you how to cook everything. I love his pancake recipe, too, which I do need to post one day soon.

A frittata is like a thin baked omelet, with lots of room for interpretation. I used whatever we had in the fridge (wasn't much!) and made a cheese/onion/herb frittata with a small side salad. It would have been even better if I had actually been able to add potatoes, but thems the breaks, right?

Ingredients:
1-1.5 TBS butter or olive oil (I would like to note here that since I've been pregnant, I have rediscovered real eggs cooked in real butter, instead of egg whites cooked in Pam spray. Holy deliciousness. I don't know how I can go back)
5-6 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese, your choice
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. If your skillet is like mine, and has a silicone handle, wrap this in foil to protect it from the oven.

Place the butter or oil in a medium-to-large ovenproof skillet, preferably non-stick, and turn the heat to medium. While it's heating, beat together the eggs, cheese, salt, and pepper. When the butter melts or the oil is hot, pour the eggs into the skillet and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook, undisturbed, for about 10 minutes, or until the bottom of the frittata is firm.

Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake, checking every 5 minutes or so, just until the top of the frittata is no longer runny, 10 to 20 minutes more.(To speed things up, turn on the broiler, but be careful not to overcook.) Garnish and serve hot or at room temperature.

0 comments: