August 25, 2010

TWD (a day late): Crunchy and Custardy Plum Tart


I know it's TUESDAYS with Dorie, but I really just couldn't get my act together in time. I finished the tart crust Monday night, and by that time, I had been on my feet all day so I just collapsed on the couch.

However, I was able to finish the tart last night, just in time for Alex's birthday today! It's supposed to be a peach tart, but plums were on sale and I haven't used them for baking yet. It smelled delicious in the oven, and we'll eat it tonight after a birthday dinner. I'm sure, though, that it will taste amazing, if it's anything like Dorie's other fruit tarts! Sweet-tart plums, nestled in almond custard, covered with a brown sugar and almond struesel. Hello, YUM?

While each component of the recipe was easy enough, it was a little much for me try to do over the course of 1 day. I think that baking the crust off and letting it cool overnight is much more efficient (or you know, a pre-made crust...I won't tell on you!). Check out the recipe on Rachel's blog!

Updated: We ate the tart last night and it was DELICIOUS! The plums were still slightly tart and the struesel was just sweet enough. YUM! I recommend either eating it the day it's made, or chilling in the fridge, since it was a tad soggy by the time we cut into it. However, it's a really good way to celebrate summer stone fruit. Oh, and Dorie's Sweet Tart crust? Awesome.

6 comments:

chocolatechic said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful tart.

I didn't want to mess with fresh peaches, so I used canned.

The Mortensens said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It is delicious! What a perfect treat for a birthday party!

Mary said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your tart looks great! I love plum tarts, so I'll definitely try this variation.
:)

The Bake More said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Don't tell on me, I used a pre-made crust :) Love the pattern of the plums. It looks like a star fish nestled in sand. Very original.

natalia said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ciao Beth ! Happy birthday to Alex and I'm sure the tart will be an excellent start !!

Judy said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful tart! I like the design, and it sounds like it tasted really good.