August 30, 2010

Fresh Pea and Ricotta Ravioli


So I've had a few random cravings hit me over the past 6 months, but nothing really all that strange. I chugged half a 50-oz bottle of Simply Lemonade in the Giant parking lot one afternoon. I also spent an entire weekend eating nothing but hamburgers. However, I hadn't had a moment of "OMG MUST HAVE THAT NOW", until this past Saturday.

I was sitting on the couch, giving my favorite furry brat a belly rub, when Claire Robinson of 5 Ingredient Fix told me that she would make fresh pea and ricotta ravioli. Um, what? Cue instant drooling (by me, not the dog). I had to make that. I wanted to reach through the TV screen and steal those ravioli from her and eat them all NOWNOWNOW. I wanted them so badly that I went to 3 grocery stores to find wonton wrappers.

These are simple yet a little complicated. However, the filling is DIVINE. And this isn't the pregnancy talking...these are oh-so-good. If you like the flavor of sweet peas, then you'll adore these. Peas are pureed with ricotta, seasoned with a little lemon and S&P, and then immediately made into wonton ravioli. So delicious. I ate spoonfuls of the filling straight out of the food processor. Don't judge me.

The complicated part, though, is that it makes a lot of filling and making the little ravioli's is tiring. They also stick together (after cooking) like you wouldn't believe. I used the leftovers to make them again on Sunday for Alex and spread the finished ones on a cookie sheet covered in oiled wax paper. That worked better, but they were still sticky. If you have a good solution for this, I'm all ears! I will make this filling again, but might take the lazy route and just throw it with some pasta instead. It's that good, folks.

Fresh Pea and Ricotta Ravioli

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons lemon infused olive oil, plus more for drizzling (I used regular. Who has lemon infused oil hanging around anyways?)
4 slices prosciutto, cut into thin strips (I skipped. Not so kosher!)
12 ounces fresh whole milk ricotta
1 1/2 cups fresh shelled English peas, plus more for garnish (I used frozen. They worked just fine!)
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
24 to 36 square wonton wrappers
Lemon juice (to make up for my lack of lemon-infused oil)

Instructions:
If you're using the prosciutto:
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a skillet, over medium heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Lightly oil a serving plate with some of the prosciutto crisping oil and put it in a warm oven until ready to serve.
If you're not using prosciutto:
Drain the ricotta of excess moisture in a fine mesh sieve for 10 to 15 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the peas and blanch them until just tender, about 2 to 3 minutes (a bit longer if you're using frozen). Transfer the peas to an ice water bath, to shock and stop the cooking and preserve the color. Keep the pot of hot water on the stove to cook the ravioli.

Transfer the peas to a food processor and puree with the drained ricotta and salt and pepper, to taste. Add in a little lemon juice, about a teaspoon or so, depending on taste. Put a teaspoon (or more depending on wonton size) of the pea mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper; avoid overfilling. Dampen the inside outer edges of wonton with water and fold, pinching around the borders to ensure that the ravioli is well sealed. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers and filling.

Bring the pot of hot water to a boil over medium heat.

Drop the ravioli, in batches, into the boiling water and cook until tender and the wrapper becomes slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon or skimmer, transfer the cooked ravioli to an oiled serving plate. Drizzle with lemon infused olive oil and top with crispy prosciutto and a few peas. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

sounds really good
-Ada

Gracie said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I just bought fresh peas from the Farmer's Market. I am making this!!!