October 1, 2010

Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs


Chicken thighs are a really inexpensive and delicious option that I hadn't considered before! I normally buy a whole 8-pc cut up chicken, but these were only $5 compared to my usual $13! How could I say no? I googled around for recipes, and found this very simple one that took about 20 minutes. Or, it would have if I hadn't sat down half-way through to rest my feet :-)

It's pretty tasty, although Alex thought the sauce was a tad too sweet. I may have added too much honey, so next time, I'll cut back and double up on the mustard. The chicken cooks up really easily, so you can throw everything in the pan and just read the next chapter of Happiest Baby on the Block while it cooks. Well...okay, not everyone will do that, but some of us do!

adapted from about.com
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. butter (olive oil to keep it kosher)
1 lb. pkg. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. mustard
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Instructions:
Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium heat.

Add chicken and carrots and cook for 8-10 minutes until chicken is browned on bottom. Turn chicken and add remaining ingredients. Cover pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-13 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Serve over hot cooked rice or couscous.

0 comments: