June 24, 2008

Holy Yumminess

This was my first thought as I took a bite of my Barley-Asparagus 'Risotto' with Balsamic Vinegar. Yum yum yum and oh yeah, YUM! This recipe is from weightwatchers.com and it's only 3 points per 1 cup serving. I had barley in the pantry, so I thought I would see how well I could fool my own tastebuds.
Sadly, our camera died, so I wasn't able to get a picture, but take my word for it...it's awesome.

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion(s), minced
1 cup uncooked barley, use quick-cooking pearl variety
3 cup fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth (I used vegetable)
1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 cup chives, fresh, sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Warm oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until onion is tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in barley and cook, stirring, about 1 minute more. Add broth, cover and simmer over low heat for 8-12 minutes; stir in asparagus and simmer 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in chives and vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and serve. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm going to try this next week! We have bulgur in the house, which isn't quite barley, but it's close enough. Also, have you seen "no chicken" chicken broth? I've only seen it once, but it is chix-flavored and vegetarian (as opposed to vegetable-flavored). Talk to you soon!

PS - Check your Facebook. I'm sending you a WW chilled-soup that you should be able to make with just a blender.

JackieT said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have barley in the pantry that I've been trying to use up. Thanks for the idea. Happy cooking.