August 31, 2008

TWD #2 - Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipster Cookies

Whew, what a mouthful - to say and to eat! This weeks recipe was chosen by the lovely Stefany (or tpox, as we Nesties know her) of Proceed with Caution. It's a big crispy yet chewy mouthful of peanut-butter, oatmeal and chocolate that simply screams for a big cold glass of milk. I made these on Friday evening so that Alex could bring them to his brother in NYC. I can't keep cookies in the apt or I'll just eat them all!


Being a part of TWD has already increased my baking technique and my baking snobbery. I love how Dorie writes an explanation before each section, giving different ideas and suggestions. This has become incredibly helpful throughout my kitchen adventures. For example, I have learned that even though chocolate chips are pretty convenient, I really like the flavor of actual chocolate chunks. And I feel so hardcore chopping it up in my kitchen! Dorie's right about this, fo' sho.

I have to say I was disappointed in these cookies. Sorry Dorie! You know I love you, bubbeleh. I mean, based on the amazingly delicious sounding name I figured I would like them...but I didn't. The batter was good (hey, I had to taste it in the name of research!) but when they came out of the oven, they were dry and not all that delish. I thought maybe they would be better after cooling off, and they were slightly more moist the next morning, but still not enough for me. Maybe it's the PB in the cookies b/c I recall regular PB cookies having a slightly dry and crumbly texture. My cookies were a little darker than the other bloggers and I think that's because I made a lot of chocolate "dust" when I chopped up the chunks.

Anyways, Alex and his brother loved the cookies, which is fine with me! I don't think I'll make these again, though. Next week is another cookie recipe and after that, I think I'll be cookied out. I know I can bake cookies...I want to try something else now!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

too bad you didn't like them! there was a lot going on in them, that's for sure. at least you have people around who can eat them for you!

Spike said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Good plan in getting the cookies out of the house-always a problem for me! I hope next week's cookies work out better for you

Nancy/n.o.e said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Oh, that's disappointing about the dry cookies. Do you think your oven might run hot? Or cook time too long? I almost always turn my oven 25 degrees cooler, especially when I use dark cookie sheets (which is, well, always). Glad they were a hit with the guys. And rumor has it that there are more cookies in the rotation!
Nancy

Shelby said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOL, I love how your becoming the "snob" about your food! Hopefully you will like next week's cookie!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I have to get rid of cookies ASAP, too. They are my Kryptonite.

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sorry you weren't a fan! Here is to loving next week!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

bubbeleh. tee hee. I had the same experience with these. dough good, cookie no.

Jules Someone said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm with you on these cookies. They were ok.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

They look nice at least!