October 21, 2008

Top o' the Muffin to Ya! (TWD Pumpkin Muffins)


Everytime I see a muffin, I think of this hilarious commercial



The first time I saw it, I just about spit out my drink.

Anyways, I was very excited to make this weeks TWD recipe. Kelly, from Sounding My Barbaric Gulp, picked this one and it was a good break from the cookies and other crunchy sweets. I've said it before, but I just adore all fall-flavored things (apples, spices, pumpkin, squash, etc). I also love how putting pureed pumpkin into a recipe makes it really moist and yummy. It's all about complimenting it with spices and Dorie's recipe most definintely does that!

During my pre-baking shopping trip, I totally forgot about the buttermilk. The only thing in my fridge was a totally cliched Kosher home staple: non-dairy sour cream.
From the lovely folks at Tofutti, it's a great thing for us to use on chili and other meat meals. I was a little worried how it would affect the muffins, but I shouldn't have worried. The other good thing is that I could make these muffins totally parve if I had the chutzpah to actually use a whole stick of margarine.
I made the first batch with mini-chocolate chips because I liked the flavor combination of the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies, and the second batch with walnuts and a little bit more ginger. I wasn't sure how much to fill the cups because usually you fill cupcakes only 2/3 the way; however, with these muffins, you don't have to worry - fill the cups all the way to the top! I was so happy with the way these came out. So flavorful and spicy with the perfect muffin texture. Check out what other muffin creations the TWD bakers came up with! What can I say? We're just a bunch of muffin top lovers.

4 comments:

Engineer Baker said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sad, my work blocks your commercial clip :( But both variations sound amazing. I'm surprised you could fill yours to the top - I filled mine halfway and they practically erupted!

kimberly salem said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

lol, i've never seen that commercial before ;) hilarious! great job on the muffins, glad you enjoyed em!

Liliana said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Your muffins came out great!

Loved the commercial clip!

Nancy/n.o.e said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great job on the muffins. I've found that just about any combination of sour cream, yogurt, or buttermilk are interchangeable in quick breads. And instead of a stick of margarine, you could try oil, although the texture will likely not be as fluffy - at least that's my guess anyway.

Happy Anniversary, btw - I like the picture of you two in the grass with the sunlight coming through. Lovely.