November 1, 2008

Snickerdoodley-doo & Operation Baking GALS

It's time for the next round of Operation Baking GALS! I wanted to offer the soldiers a good cookie variety so I made Mandel Bread, Granola Grabbers and I tried a new one, Snickerdoodles. There are a ton of Snickerdoodle recipes out there, and the majority of them call for shortening, but I just couldn't do it. I finally found one with butter on Recipezaar and it had a ton of great reviews. They were SO spot on.


I didn't think there was much to Snickerdoodles. Sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon-sugar, right? WRONG! It's much better than a sugar cookie. It's got a slight tang from the cream of tarter and the texture is crispy on the edges and chewy in the middle. The tops are a little cracked after baking and it's a very pretty, classic cookie. I hope the troops like them!

The dough is super sticky, so be sure to chill both it and the baking sheets. They spread really easily so keep the dough chilled and the balls small. While one batch was baking, I kept the dough and my second baking sheet in the fridge, rotating them as needed. Also, it helps to wet your hands to roll up the sticky cookies.

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 TBS cinnamon
3 TBS sugar

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350, rack in middle position. Cover your baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mats.
Mix the butter, sugar and eggs together until creamy. Combine flour, cream of tarter and baking soda together in a separate bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Chill the dough and your cookie sheets for 10 minutes. Mix 3 TBS sugar and 3 TBS cinnamon together in a small bowl. Scoop 1-inch balls of dough and roll between your hands (think walnut size). Coat the cookies by rolling them around in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on the ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Enjoy with a big cold glass of milk!

4 comments:

Emily Rose said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I feel like I've tried at least a half-dozen snickerdoodle recipes- there are so many out there! I'm with you- butter is a must. My go-to recipe is very similar to this one, I'll probably be posting about it soon because I'm helping my best friend from high school plan our 5 year reunion and she LOVES snickerdoodles more than anyone I know! Thanks for visiting my blog!!

Anne said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm sure they'll like them- they look great! I love Snickerdoodles and your recipe looks wonderful.

Sandy Smith said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

These look terrific!!!

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookies of all time. I will make them about once a year or I would just eat the entire batch.