December 24, 2008

Baking and cooking disasters abound...

So I must have seriously ticked off the kitchen gods. I tried to make black-bottom cupcakes for a party this past Saturday and they were a complete and utter disaster. Gross tasting, dry, ugly, oh ugh...just bad.

So, then I went back to my ol' favorite - Amy Sedaris Vanilla Cupcake recipe. It's easy and delicious. Usually. This time, in my rush, I think I overmixed the batter because the cupcakes were tough and dense.

I figured I would hide this under a layer of Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) icing. I had seen other bloggers do it, so why couldn't I? Oh, not a good idea at all. After my first batch of egg whites failed to form peaks, I dumped them and started again. They peaked beautifully and I beat in the butter, just like I was told. Suddenly, my beautiful SMBC became a gross, buttery, disgusting mess. There were chunks of butter throughout, making it lumpy SMBC icing. Not attractive at all. I frosted 4 of them for dinner, planning to do the rest later. My IL's kindly nibbled through the cupcakes, but I could tell they didn't like it.

So I decided to frost the remaining cupcakes with Dorie's chocolate ganache. This came together easily, but hardened. I forgot it did that. So, now I had dense, dry cupcakes frosted with hard chocolate ganache. People at the party on Sunday seemed to like them okay, but I was not proud at all.

Oh, and did I mention that our garbage disposal flooded the kitchen? Yeah, it was not a good baking week!

2 comments:

Katie Barlow said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I can relate! I tottally have bad baking weeks all the time! Lately I've been lucky and so far so good (Knock on wood!) Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, if she ever wants to talk about it with someone I would be happy to chat. Talking about my disorder has been a huge step toward my recovery!

#1SAHM said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sorry you had a bad baking week! I've had some baking disasters myself, so you're not alone by any means. : )